At Altera Orthodontics, our goal is to treat your children as if they were our own, we want what’s best for them! Dr. Hashemi follows the American Association of Orthodontists recommendation that all children get an initial screening with an orthodontist at age 7. An initial orthodontic screening allows Dr. Hashemi to determine if there are issues related to your child’s facial growth or tooth position that should be addressed sooner rather than later.
With early treatment, Dr. H and his team can take a less invasive, preventative approach. Addressing developmental concerns while the bones are still growing gives us the ability to avoid more invasive approaches in the future. While Dr. H may not necessarily recommend treatment at this early age, if a problem is detected, we can discuss when treatment will be necessary and create a personalized treatment plan for optimal results.
If necessary, early treatment (phase 1) will address a specific problem. Often times, patients that require phase 1 treatment will need phase 2 at an older age. Once early treatment is completed, your child will be monitored by Dr. H until they are ready for comprehensive treatment (phase 2).
7 Reasons why Age 7 is the best time for your child’s initial orthodontic screening:
- Dr. Hashemi is trained to recognize and address problems early in a child’s development, even while baby teeth are still present
- Dr. Hashemi is able to evaluate concerns such as overbite or underbite, open bite or deep bite, crossbite and spacing or crowding
- Dr. Hashemi can evaluate jaw growth patterns and plan for treatment at the appropriate time
- Early intervention can correct harmful oral habits
- Early intervention can lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Dr. Hashemi can help guide jaw growth and permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Dr. Hashemi can create a more pleasing arrangement of the teeth, thus improving the appearance and self-esteem of your child
We'd love to discuss your child's orthodontic options and develop a treatment plan that is customized to your child's needs. We welcome you to contact our Royersford office at (610) 624-4094 to schedule a Complimentary In-office Consultation.